Paul . L . Snyder on Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:04:24 -0400

Re: Audio

owner-phl@lists.pm.org wrote on 07/24/2003 06:41:21 PM:

> Can anyone recomend a portable audio package for accessing the audio
> hardware from both Perl and C?  I don't know how portable OpenAL is and
> it may be overkill.

How about SDL [ http://libsdl.org ]?  It may be overkill as well, but
it's definitely portable.  There is a perl wrapper (which I have not
tried) at [ http://sdlperl.org ].

> I want to program to a single API for audio on Linux, Mac OS X, and
> Windows.

According to the SDL web site, it supports Linux, OS X, and Windows,
along with BeOS, Classic MacOS, various other BSDs, Amiga, IRIX, and
Solaris.  (Along with a slew of not-officially-supported platforms.)

HTH,
Paul

-