David Steuber on Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:52:18 -0400

Re: Audio

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 09:55:25AM -0400, Paul.L.Snyder@gsk.com wrote:
> owner-phl@lists.pm.org wrote on 07/24/2003 06:41:21 PM:
>
> > Can anyone recomend a portable audio package for accessing the audio
> > hardware from both Perl and C?  I don't know how portable OpenAL is and
> > it may be overkill.
>
> How about SDL [ http://libsdl.org ]?  It may be overkill as well, but
> it's definitely portable.  There is a perl wrapper (which I have not
> tried) at [ http://sdlperl.org ].
>
> > I want to program to a single API for audio on Linux, Mac OS X, and
> > Windows.
>
> According to the SDL web site, it supports Linux, OS X, and Windows,
> along with BeOS, Classic MacOS, various other BSDs, Amiga, IRIX, and
> Solaris.  (Along with a slew of not-officially-supported platforms.)

Sounds just like what I'm looking for.  Thanks.

The overkill part of OpenAL has to do with 3d spacialization.  I'm just
interested in voice quality mono.

--
David Steuber           |  telco:610.436.1677
302 E Marshall St       |  http://www.david-steuber.com/