Walt Mankowski on 28 Jun 2004 15:31:22 -0000

Re: YAPC 2005 proposals

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 11:02:03AM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> I'm willing to head up a university of delaware campaign again if that
> sounds like a fun venue for everyone.  actually, while the conference at
> buffalo was really, really great, I think delaware would make for a much
> better venue in terms of facilities (and nearby bars :)

UofB sort of felt like a shopping mall (though a nice one) surrounded
by a giant parking lot. :)

> so here's an idea - if people would like to take an afternoon and visit the
> campus to see what it is like (if you haven't been there), grab some nachos
> or something, and come home it might be fun.

Good idea.  Maybe it would be a good Monday night social outing?
Otherwise it would have to be a Saturday or Sunday.  This weekend is
probably bad because of the holiday, but I'd probably be able to make
it any other time.

Either way folks would need cars or carpools to get there.  Septa has
spotty daily service to Newark (last train leaves at 7:21 PM) and no
weekend service at all.

> one thing I personally want to stay away from, though, is the area split
> that happened last year with two proposals coming from the philadelphia
> area.  organizing a conference is lots of work, so if there is interest in a
> different philadelphia-area venue I would jump on board with that so that it
> is phl.pm playing host, rather than go it alone again this year.

Agreed.

Walt