Geoffrey Young on 21 Feb 2008 07:05:43 -0800

Re: Code performance

Berthoff, Tom wrote:
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Perl, so I apologize in advance about any clueless
questions I might pose. I am, after all, essentially clueless.

Here's the question:

Can anyone suggest techniques for further optimizing (meaning increasing
the scanning speed of and reducing the system resources consumed by) the
following:

others are probably more versed in file io and idiomatic shortcuts than I am, so they can give you some suggestions there. however, I'd start with a code profiler so that you actually understand where your bottlenecks are and aren't trying to optimize in all the wrong places.

the two perl ones are

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/DProf/
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-Profiler/

Devel::DProf is included with perl, so you probably have it already. personally, I'm more familiar with Devel::Profiler, but they both produce the same output in the end (see the Devel::Profiler docs for why you'd use one over the other).

anyway, I've been using profiling more and more over the years and find it invaluable. I also proposed an OSCon talk on profiling this year - if it's accepted I'll preview it for phl.pm :)

--Geoff
-