Jeremy Kister on 21 Jan 2009 18:37:07 -0800

Re: REMINDER: Tech meeting tonight at Voicestar

On 1/21/2009 10:18 AM, Walt Mankowski wrote:
Don't forget we're having a tech meeting tonight.  I"ll be giving a
talk on becoming a Perl one-liners ninja.

Thanks for the talk, Walt.

we were talking about the -n switch, when i asked if we could trick perl into running two loops with some extra curly braces. there seemed to be some confusion about what i was talking about, so here's what i found:

your example was along the line of:
perl -ne 'print if length > 80' foo

and i was wondering what exactly perl did with the -n switch -- did it simply wrap the code with while(<>){ and } ?

so to test, i tried this:
perl -ne 'print if length > 80 } { for(1..3){ print }' foo

which works how i figured it may.  might be useful sometime...

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./