LeRoy D. Cressy on Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:57:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: Need to move main drive to another controller

Michael Leone wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Q: My Linux system is set up now as /dev/hdb1, with a swap partition on
> /dev/hdb2. I want to move this drive from slave on the master IDE
> controller (/hdb), to slave on the secondary controller (/dev/hdd). I'd
> like to do this since my primary drive (/dev/hda) is a UDMA drive, and my
> Linux drive isn't.
>
> What would be the best way to go about this? I know that simply editing the
> fstab file to re-point it at hdd doesn't work. ;-/ Kernel panic.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

There are several things that have to be done:

1:  Edit /etc/fstab
2:  Read the man page for rdev and set up your kernel properly to look
for
    where the root and swap devices will be.
3:  Edit /etc/lilo.conf
4:  Shutdown the system and perform the hardware change.
5:  Hopefully it works

Hope that this helps
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037