Roger Scudder on Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:13:08 -0500 (EST)

Re: Anybody out there?

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Juergen Fiedler wrote:

> The subject says it all.
> On this side of the line sits a desperate Linux newbie, trying to configure
> PPP for RedHat 5.2. I don't want to start to describe the problem in all
> detail (again) before I know whether there are any other people reading
> this. So, could you please give me a sign?
> I apologize if this way of introducing myself to the list is inappropriate.

Hi Juergen,

 Yes there are several people who monitor this list.  I will be happy to
 assist you in configuring ppp for your system.  RedHat 5.2 comes with
 ppp support as a kernel module out of the box.  All you really need to
 do is edit a few files.

 The first thing, though before you start editing is to determine the type
 of login your provider uses.  For instance, is it PAP, CHAP, or is there
 an interactive login process where you wait for a prompt before sending
 your ID and password.

 Hmmm...  now I'm going off without even seeing what you want to ask.
 Why don't you post a message explaining what you need and I'll help you
 get ppp going.

Roger C. Scudder Jr.
Philadelphia, PA, US
rscudder@usa.net