Rebecca Ore on Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:03:20 -0500 (EST)

Re: Anybody out there?

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 06:11:45PM -0500, Roger Scudder wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Juergen Fiedler wrote:
>
> > The subject says it all.
> > On this side of the line sits a desperate Linux newbie, trying to configure
> > PPP for RedHat 5.2. I don't want to start to describe the problem in all
> > detail (again) before I know whether there are any other people reading
> > this. So, could you please give me a sign?
> > I apologize if this way of introducing myself to the list is inappropriate.
>
> Hi Juergen,
>
>  Yes there are several people who monitor this list.  I will be happy to
>  assist you in configuring ppp for your system.  RedHat 5.2 comes with
>  ppp support as a kernel module out of the box.  All you really need to
>  do is edit a few files.
>
>  The first thing, though before you start editing is to determine the type
>  of login your provider uses.  For instance, is it PAP, CHAP, or is there
>  an interactive login process where you wait for a prompt before sending
>  your ID and password.

My provider has two different ways to do this -- PAP doesn't not require
a script as RedHat's internal script works well.  If you're with a
maximally gung provider, they will think script as in you write.  If
you're with netaxs, they have been provided with instructions which I'd
like to make sure are clear and comprenhesible to novices.

For PAP, log on or su to root.  Go to Conrol-Panel, open network configuration
tool (the square with three terminals in a row over four terminals in a
row).  Enter the IP numbers your ISP gives you as the name server in the
appropriate box.  Enter host name if you have a domain name, if not,
not, and enter your ISP's name under search for host name under
different domains (your hostname is generally localhost unless you do
have a domain name).

Click on Hosts and under the loopback number for localhost, enter your
ISPs IP numbers and the name of the server connected with that IP
number.  My entries are for my virtual domain, which has a static IP
address and for two netaxs servers.  Do NOT change the localhost number.

Click on Interfaces, click on set up new interface, choose PPP,
choose PAP, enter the ISP's phone number in the appropriate place, then
open the PAP option and enter your user name in the two different
required locations and your password for the secret.  It makes it easier
if you allow users to log on (and set up your accounts so that you are
both root and one or more users -- spare users are handy for playing
with different windows managers, running cancelbots, and other things).
This option, for some RedHatean reason, is under Hardware options.
Save, close.  You should see the new interface under the first default
loopback interface of lo.

Activate the interface the first time through the network configuration
tool (highlight the interface line and click activate). You can choose
edit to make changes.  Open an xterm as root and type in: tail
/var/log/messages to see how the interface is working.  If you have
further problems, edit the interface, turn on debugging and turn on
escape control characters in the hardward options.

Try this first -- it works for op.net without escape control characters
being activated, and for certain netaxs numbers with escape control
characters being activated.  If this doesn't work, you can use the
scripting tool for simple scripts, but go here first as listening to
people about scripts will drive you unnecessarily crazy if you can do it
this way.

--
Rebecca Ore