Roger Scudder on Sun, 10 Jan 1999 00:53:25 -0500 (EST)

Re: OSS motivations (was RE: anybody out there)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 vbajaj@sas.upenn.edu wrote:

> > As far as how programmers respond to bug reports; please realize that,
> > for all but the top crust, programming open source software is a
> > thankless job.  These people work long and hard to give you something
> > that they hope you will find useful and expect near to nothing in return.
> > What they usually get is endless requests for added features or fixes.
>
> I don't want to get involved in the other stuff, but... :)

Thank you, I would like to see that one die down rather than
grow any more.

> You make it sound as though OSS is a sort of martyrdom.  I'm certainly

No not exactly.  First of all, I probably should not have used the
term Open Source Software because this more about common respect
towards others in our community.  It is a natural human reaction to
become defensive when ones work is criticized  (if you try to tell me
you are above all that then we may as well stop this thread right now
because I won't believe another word you write).  I realize that
not all home grown software was built on blood sweat and tears, but
a good portion was.  The intended reader of my reply was showing open
hostility toward programmers as a group, or at least a particular
unnamed and significant portion of said group.  In my reply to that
person I attempted to share my belief that users need to be a little
slower to judge and a little more willing to try to understand.

> not "top crust," but I often hack OSS.  Indeed, I always advocate OSS

Yes, that would put you pretty far from the upper crust. IMHO :-)

> in all network security consultations for obvious reasons.  For both
> these activities, I expect to be paid well enough to meet the burdens
> of tuition.  I would say that it is probably the top crust programmer
> who maintains large, well-used, publicity garnering packages that is
> most attacked in this fashion, and he is free to simply ignore hostile
> requests.  Further, the experience of dealing with hostile users is
> universal to anything technological, open source or not.

It's universal to being a human being!  The requests don't need to be
hostile.  That's not the point... Please understand that this is not
something I have simply pondered.  I am referring to actual cases
of people I have come to know.

> The idea that OSS developers "expect near to nothing in return" is a
> barrier to the adoption of an OSS philosophy.  As a scientist (or at least,
> soon-to-be), I view OSS to be of the same mold as scientific inquiry.  I
> can engage in this inquiry for whatever purpose I wish, but the ultimate
> success of my inquiry is dependent on both peer review and a foundation
> of ideas and knowledge.  The ultimate product is far more reliable than
> a proprietary one.

In an idealistic setting that is true.  I wish you the best and hope
you are able to maintain such high standards.  You have made some
very good points and I appreciate and value your input.

Roger C. Scudder Jr.
Philadelphia, PA, US
rscudder@usa.net
I'd rather be running Linux!