Juergen Fiedler on Sat, 9 Jan 1999 13:13:38 -0500 (EST)

RE: Anybody out there?

Scripts is what you want? Very well, scripts you shall get!
I tried this pair, basically with as much success as using the GUI setup (I
get a connection, get my dynamic IP address assigned, but can't ping
_anything_ outside the LAN)

---------------- START PPP-ON ------------------
#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtscts /dev/modem 57600\
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 \
	0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0 \
        noipdefault defaultroute connect /test/ppp-on-dialer
----------------- END PPP-ON -------------------

------------- START PPP-ON-DIALER --------------
#!/bin/sh

exec chat -v                                         \
        TIMEOUT         3                            \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                   \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'              \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
        ''              \rAT                         \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                         \
        TIMEOUT         30                           \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE               \
        CONNECT         ''                           \
        ogin:--ogin:    myname                       \
        ord:            password

Can you spot the error in here? I guess if there is any, it would be in the
ppp-on script. Of course, one of the AT-commands in ppp-on-dialer could be
wrong, but I really don't think so. If I come that far (i.e., am able to
complete login), is there still a possibility that I have a problem with the
modem? With my ISP? I tried those scripts with two different ISPs (and I
didn't really want to talk about it, but: Once it worked - and I don't
remember what I did differently (especcially frustrating)).

Later,
Juergen