Rebecca Ore on Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:33:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: Anybody out there?

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 03:47:10AM -0500, Roger Scudder wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Rebecca Ore wrote:
>
> > I work for netaxs now and bite people who bite newbies or psuedo newbies
> > as a professional courtesy.
>
> Cool... hey, if you bite me I promise I'll bark like a dog... honest...
> for real though, what is a psuedo newbie?

Someone who can still regress to that state :).

> > If I could make more than 20K a book wielding them other than how I
> > wield them, I would.
>
> Well, you could always switch to writing romance novels.  I confess
> I was not aware of your work, but I haven't read sf in over 10 years.
> I will make it a point to read some of your stuff in the near future.
> btw, I was a child artist too.  By the time I was 16 I had an
> impressive portfolio and hopes for a career in the fine arts.  About
> that time I discovered heroin which changed my life dramatically.

One of my best on-line friends is an ex-junkie who was saved by
computers.

I wasn't a child artist in s.f. -- I began writing fiction when I was in
my thirties.

> > > Now you're rewriting history.   Please show me at what point I attempted
> > > to teach him a "moderate skill level".  The only person making any
> > > attacks here is you.
> >
> > No, I'm teasing you.  I'm the resident despammer scum on the Freedom
> > Knights list, so I know an attack when I see one, but perhaps you don't.
>
> yeah, whatever.... it was the closest thing to an attack that happened
> on THIS list since I started reading last week. :-p

If I say it's a bug, it's a bug.  If I say release those tarballs and
liberate the tarballistas, it's time to release those tarballs.

> > I got tired of people assuming always that I was doing
> > something wrong because I was female, non-programmer, fifty-years old,
> > etc.  If the intention is to provide good working code with boundary
> > conditions for systems it works on specified in configure, then I'm your
> > beta tester.  If you want to provide code that needs to be massaged to
> > get it to compile -- cool, I'll let you know you succeeded on that, too.
> > And, while I can make mistakes, I generally do have a good sense of what
> > I'm doing (i.e., if a Gimp or Gnome package doesn't compile, the first
> > next thing to try is upgrading glibs and gtk, but if it's XEmacs, try
> > some variations in configure options).
>
> I can tell that you are very active and knowledgeable.  I also respect
> your ovaries out and in the wind approach.  And I'm sure I could learn
> a hell of alot from you.  It's only when you start generalizing about
> groups that you lose me.  I think you're better than that.

Who, me, generalize about a group?  I'd just had the experience of
having to keep posting that I was having a problem and the thing was a
tarball, not a cvs snapshot.

Finally, everyone got it straightened out.  The programmer put in code
in configure that warned of missing packages.  Sheesh.

--
Rebecca Ore
"Better a good bug report and no patch than a mediocre patch."  Steve