Roger Scudder on Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:25:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: Please don't email me and cc the list

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Rebecca Ore wrote:

> And like other messages, I got two copies of it.  I filter *all* cc'ed
> to list, to the list, or remailed by the list to the list mailbox and
> this just means that I get two copies in the list mail box.  I don't
> particularly mind mail to me only, but would prefer that people learn
> how to set up programs and filters that allow responses to the list
> without the unnecessary duplications.
>
> Procmail and mutt are excellent for this.  I would probably not be on as
> many mailing lists as I am without it.

Rather than tryin to change other people's habits, (damn near
impossible far as I can tell) you'd probably be better off using
procmail to remove those dups.  I think you have the right idea,
though.  We should always strive to keep bandwidth to a minimum.

> If anyone needs help setting up procmail, don't use the latest RedHat
> rpm for that either.

really?  What's the problem with it?

Roger C. Scudder Jr.
Philadelphia, PA, US