Paul Krause on Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:02:28 -0500 (EST)

Re:Kernal Compile for RH5.1

I just recently compiled my first (well, more like my first through my tenth)
kernel on a RH5.1 system.  Here is what I learned:

The most helpful thing I saw is the file (I think it's called "conf.help") in
the /usr/local/src/linux dir.  It basically goes through all of the options in
"make menuconfig" (or "make config" or "make xconfig", which I couldn't get to
work) and explains what each one means, and then offers advise like "the normal
user would want to set this option to x" and such.  A fantastic document.

The README in the same directory is also awsome.  It explains everything else
you need ot know.

If you mis-compile, it's a fairly easy mistake to recover from.  Just re-config
and recompile.

The next time I set up a box I will set up a partition just for developement
kernels.

Linux can compile it's own kernel with nary a performance loss.  Window's has to
put everything else on hold if it tries to run VB code.  (Not really advise, I
guess, but I did learn it, and window's market dominance just continues to amaze
me.)

Hope this helps!

Paul Krause