David L. Martin on Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:11:31 -0500 (EST)

RE: DNS

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Tony Buser wrote:
> What are you using to do the dhcp?  Is there a dhcp server for Linux?  Only
> thing I've found was a dhcp client.  Reason I ask is that I recently
> installed Linux on a laptop and use dhcp at work on an NT network, but what
> I'd like to do is also use dhcp on my Linux based home network so I don't
> have to reconfig it when I go home to get on my network.

It's totally sweet...
At the end of the day I unplug from work, drive home, and plug back in.

Read the DHCP-HOWTO its easy.

I created this file (/etc/dhcpd.conf):
-------------------
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
#option routers 192.168.0.2;
#option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.2;
option domain-name "njcc.com";

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	range 192.168.0.5 192.168.0.100;
}

host charlie {
	hardware ethernet  00:10:4B:74:2E:D3;
	fixed-address 192.168.0.3;
}

host delta {
	hardware ethernet 00:10:4b:ed:55:10;
	fixed-address 192.168.0.4;
}
----------------------------
and did a 'touch /etc/dhcpd.leases'
and ran 'dhcpd'
easy....

Now I have some weird stuff going on, in that my local network does not
have a connection to the internet (hence no gateway, and currently no
nameserver).  That is why those two lines are commented out in the .conf
file.  Also two of my clients have a static ip, hence the last two
sections.

Now here comes one trick, smack in the middle of the howto they tell you
to add this funny route.  You will need to do this to support some
clients.

Now my route table looks all funny:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
allones         *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        8 eth0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0       48 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0      365 lo

But it works...

--

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

Faith is the quality that enables you to eat blackberry jam on a
picnic without looking to see whether the seeds move.