Joel A. Matz on Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:02:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: Anybody using GNOME?

Tracy Nelson wrote:

> I always thought GNOME was neat, but I was waiting for version 1.0 to
> come out.  Now that it has, I'm considering switching (from afterstep).
> Is anyone using GNOME?  How's the interaction/integration through
> ORBit?  Is it a hassle to install/configure?  Any comments, pro or con?
>
> Cheers!
> -- Tracy Nelson

I've been using it for a few weeks, it's pretty nice.  I installed the
latest RPMS on my RH5.2 box & one line in .Xclients & it was up.  I
occasionally get a core dump, though.  I think some of the apps (ie
their file manager) are a little rough yet.  I'ts gonna be real sweet
shortly, I definitely prefer it to KDE, let alone the default FVWM95
Redhat dumps in as standard.

If you choose to install be sure to read the docs.  The biggest hurdle
was getting icons to show on the task bar & fiddling with Enlightenment
until I got what I wanted.

Very cool.

Joel

--
Microsoft:  Because children don't like books without pictures...