Jason Staloff on Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:03:31 -0500 (EST)

how secure is nat?

My ISDN router uses NAT so it can hold a static IP address on my side as
well as the dynamic address given it by my ISP.

I ran into a Web site that told me my IP address, and whaddya know it told
me the local address, 208.0.39.44. Is this a security risk? Could my router
allow someone get into my network? OK I know that's a really naive way to
put it.... What should I do to stay as secure as possible?

I'm assuming this was done by reading the CGI environment variable
REMOTE_ADDR. Is there any other way this information could be passed along?
Is NAT reasonably safe?

TIA. JAS