niv on Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:46:54 -0400 (EDT)

lpd not functioning properly

Hello.  I am a student worker for Prof. Martoff of the Physics Dept at
Temple University (so I'm not quite sure how posting is done here).  We're
running Linux on a Gateway 2000 also running Windows '95.

Here's the problem -

While installing a new Linux kernel v.2.2.5, I noticed printing wasn't
working and /usr/src was being used at 60% while everything else was being
used very little.  The error messages we got were no message and
"lpr - connect: no such file or directory.  jobs queued, but cannot start
daemon".  There is also a message in the /var/log/messages repeated many
times - "kernel - lp0 off-line".

Can anyone help me with this?

						Sincerely,
						Niv Hartman