Kyle Burton on Thu, 13 May 1999 09:46:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Calling all current and potential consultants.

  • From: Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
  • To: PLUG - Philadelphia Area Linux Users Group <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
  • Subject: Re: Calling all current and potential consultants.
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:43:42 -0400 (EDT)

> I was wondering if there is any interest out there in forming a
> Philadelphia area Linux consulting group with emphasis on Internet based
> commerce, probably using PERL, C and TCL on Linux.  Now seems like a
> good time.  There's a burgeoning market for Linux expertise.
>
> I am considering Linux consulting but the idea of working for a
> placement type consulting firm seems onerous considering they take half
> up front.  My two big concerns about going it alone are sales and
> support.  If you're on your own, you have to spend an inordinate amount
> of time seeking work rather than doing what you do best.  Then, since
> many of these applications are mission critical, you always need to be
> available, thus you can never really get away from it all.
>
> It seems to me that a decent sized group could support a dedicated sales
> person and back each other up.  Somewhere, there is a formula that
> allows for independence yet mutual benefit.
>
> If interested, or you would like to throw out more ideas, please reply
> to the list.  If you'd prefer not to broadcast what you are
> contemplating, just reply to me.

I'd love for this to happen.  Myself, and some friends have thought about this
before, but we have no ability to sell our talents -- we've done small side
projects, moonlighting from our day jobs (web sites, LANs, minor WAN, File
servers, development, etc...), but the revenue stream hasn't been large
enough for us to confidently leave our primary jobs (staying at a level
of compensation at or above what we crurently make -- which makes it hard).

How much work is out there?  I'm sure the members of plug have the talent,
I've seen it personaly.  How much are people willing to have done, and how
much will they pay?  (we've charged up to $50/hr for networking, and $100/hr
for development [programming c/c++/perl] on the projects we've done).

???

He who knows nothing, knows nothing.But he who knows he knows nothing knows
something.And he who knows someone whose friend's wife's brother knows
nothing, he knows something. Or something like that.
    -- Anonymous (fortune file)