Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 13 May 1999 12:26:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Linux Remote access to NT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 Vale_Kenny@vanguard.com wrote:

>      Here's my Dumb Question of the month...The company I am currently working
> for uses NT RAS for dialin access.  However, I have my modem in my Linux box at
> home, and have NO desire to put it back in the NT test system.  Especially not
> after the work I did configing IP Masq.
> So to the question...Is there a way to make Linux appear as an WinX PC for RAS
> purposes?  I can't seem to find it in the pages, unless I'm overlooking for
> something obvious.

Why do you need to make it appear to be a WinX PC?  The only reason that I
could see the necessity is if your RAS server is configured to require
Microsoft encrypted authentication.  Clear text authentication and normal
encrypted authentication are specifically intended to deal with non-MS
clients/servers.

Keep in mind, also, that once a RAS connection is established with an NT
system, the sytem makes *no* differentiation between a RAS connection and
a standard LAN connection.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP          | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)