Vale_Kenny on Fri, 14 May 1999 14:26:16 -0400 (EDT)

RH Linux and backlash

Hey All,
     I've just been thinking about this for a while, and it's something I'd like
to share, and get opinions on.

RedHat has gotten a lot of bad press recently for being the biggest fish in the
Linux pond.  I really don't think this is deserved.  I'll agree, RH is not the
fastest, or consistently the most current, but they do fill a niche that is
needed in the Linux world, supplying Linux to the masses (Note, masses does not
necessarily mean "business").  For us to really revive competition in the
technology world, we need a large distribution of Linux to take things to the
(*SHUDDER*) CompUSAs, and WalMarts.  People who have not been exposed to Linux,
or are rank newbies as a whole (or sometimes just plain idiots), feel more
comfortable going to a name they recognize..how else to explain the rush for
Lose98?  Red Hat is the common man's Linux, the child's Linux (mine at least,
Angela is 8, and wants Linux to replace 98 on her system), or the small
company's Linux.  The other distributions will go through the same evolution
that brought us where we are today, the best will evolve, and improve, and the
others will dwindle.  SUSE, Debian, Caldera, PacificHiTech, Stampede ( my vote
), will continue to be available for the hackers, and you ( I cannot call myself
a hacker ) can take pride in knowing that you are heads and shoulders above the
masses still.

Tangent Begin----
  We all started the same, ( excepting a few savants ) with this box in front of
us, not knowing what wonders lay in store, shit, barely knowing how to turn the
thing on.  Wouldn't it have been great to have someone to go to when you were
clueless, or in a hurry, that would, if not hold your hand, at least point a
great big red flashing arrow in the right direction?  We are that someone right
now, and along with that honor and respect, comes moronic newbie questions, and
occasionally that individual that really has a chance to take it to the next
level.  Imagine being the helper of the next Richard, Eric, Linus, or Alan.  How
incredible would that make you feel to watch someone you helped learn the ropes
skyrocket to the stratosphere, knowing that you were the one to help make it
possible.  Yeah, you might not be the one doing the rocketing, but we're not
talking about personal glory, we're talking about moving to a GNU age of
computing.  And no one can do that by themselves.
Tangent End----

Being head and shoulders above will enable us to push the envolope, break ground
for the locomotive.  We can use the other distributions, hone our skills,
develop new ones, and assure our experience superiority.

Linux is here to stay, and companies and huge distributions like Red Hat assure
the continuity of the species.  The hackers will add in the random genes to see
where the mutations will go.

In closing, I pose a question...who would you rather have backing the most
recognized Linux distribution, Red Hat, a group who have stayed true to the
ideal, or maybe IBM, or Microsoft, or Apple??  Now there's a blessing to count.

Peace My Friends,
Vale