Eric Leung on Mon, 17 May 1999 14:36:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [SLL] Stupid X-server question...

There are a couple of ways to set this up.

One way is to get your x-term linux box to do an xdm login to another
linux box running xdm. There is a way to start X for xdm login but I can't
remember how. If you do this, your display box will behave truly as an
x-terminal. If someone else remembers what the command line switch is, let
me know!

The other way is to start x in the usual way on your display box, then
telnet to other boxes in an xterm. You can then launch apps with a display
switch to show them on your display box
(ie: coolxapp -display linux1:0.0 &). Alternatively you can set the
DISPLAY environmental variable.

Method 2 is the one that I use. I have a box that has all my apps on it,
and I telnet to it from an xterm. The /etc/profile on the remote box has a
line that sets my DISPLAY variable based on where I'm telnetting from.
>From the xterm window, I can launch anything remotely that displays
locally.

Hope that helps

-- Eric

Eric Leung                              Outdoor Research
Computer Systems Administrator          2203 1st Ave. S.
ericl@orgear.com                        Seattle, WA 98134
voice: 206.467.8197                     fax: 206.467.0374