Rich Wilson on Fri, 28 May 1999 10:50:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Hooray! Re: !!!Re: [SLL] Stupid X-server question...

>Hooray! This is the simplest, most elegant solution I've ever heard! Kudos!
>Now, for the clincher...How do I see the "ServerRoomBox" gui desktop from
>"MyBox"? Is it an executable itself? MTIA
>Tom Burba
>U.S. Vision, Inc.
>tburba@usvision.com
>609-228-1000

Add step 3.5:

    export DISPLAY=mybox:0.0

You might also need to type

    xhost serverroombox

on mybox.  This will bring up the one application on mybox, not the
entire gui display.

Note that in this situation, mybox is the X-server.  Don't get
confused with client/server terminology here.  As mentioned
a while ago, you can save a couple steps with the 'xon' command.
Again, you might have permission problems to get xon to work.

Rich

>plug@lists.nothinbut.net on 05/27/99 05:40:18 PM
>
>To:   Thomas A Burba/USVISION, dan@gasboy.com
>cc:   linux-list@ssc.com, plug@lists.nothinbut.net
>Subject:  Re: !!!Re: [SLL] Stupid X-server question...
>

>this is what i would do:
>1. start X on mybox.
>2. open a command prompt [xterm window]
>3. telnet to serverroombox, log in
>4. launch any app you want [from the command line, ie type: netscape
>[ENTER]]
>5. append an & to the end of the command if you want your shell prompt back
>while the app is running.
>make sense?
>thanks!
>joe
>   __ | |_   __   __ | |_      __   __   _____  * Joseph Cheek, Director
>  / _)|   \ / _) / _)|  _)    / _) /  \ |     | * joseph@cheek.com or
>    Cheek Consulting, Seattle, provides Linux and Internet solutions
>   linux * web commerce * html * java * perl * php * informix * mysql

Rich Wilson
richw@lsid.hp.com
425-335-2245