Mark Soma on Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

RE: Newbie question upgrading Redhat 5.2

The Linux upgrade process is identical regardless of the media; CD, NFS,
FTP.  Booting from the install floppy will allow you to select the
upgrade media, including an ftp site.  The upgrade process will
determine what needs to be upgraded according to what you have currently
installed on your machine.  If you take all the defaults it will upgrade
everything you have on your box.  A note of caution:  I have done on the
order of 50 or so upgrades in the last few years on many boxes and I've
found that in most cases (with Red Hat) that after an upgrade you must
rebuild the kernel if you had built in some custom features.  In
particular it tends to drop the networking components in the kernel.
Also, make sure you have sufficient free space on your / and /usr
partions, I have had problems with running out of space before which
ultimately leads to a re-install (not fun). Good luck!
MAS

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Weber [mailto:angler@voicenet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 4:39 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Newbie question upgrading Redhat 5.2

I am new to Linux .  Have  Redhat 5.2 up and running (2.0.36).  Silly me
did not realize that 6.0 was coming out the following week.  Received
mail from Redhat indicating that I can upgrade to 6.0 for free from the
FTP site.  So... a couple of silly questions.

1.  Is upgrading by downloading advisable?  I found the Kernel upgrade
documentaion and it seems pretty straightforward.

2.  I assume that I upgrade the Kernel first  and then either have to or
choose to upgrade other components?

3.  Any advice on upgrading RH Linux?

4.   Maybe it is not worth upgrading although I'd like the latest before
settling in.  Comments?

Thanks for your time.

Greg