Michael Leone on Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:12:08 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Other considerations against splintering

At 12:38 PM 6/8/99 -0400, Vettese, Nick A" <NAVETTESE@delinvest.com>
 wrote:
>topic, and not running scattered.  I look at it like this.  You have a
>University/Collge.  Their main campus is in Philadelphia.  Now lets say for
>example, that people in another part of the city want to go there, but they
>do nat have the time or resources to go.  So the college/Univ.  opens a
>campus here and there.  Does this mean because people are going to the
>offsite building, and not the onsite campus, does it mean death for the
>college?  NO!!!  Does it mean that one area is better than another?  NO!!!

If (for example) half of the brightest, most resourceful and helpful folks
are at the offsite location, then neither location is as proficient as they
had been when everyone was together in 1 location.

If I have a problem in ... configuring firewalls, to pick an example ...
and I'm in the CC group, and the person with the most experience and best
abilities to share their knowledge doesn't come to my meetings, but is
instead at one of the offsite areas, then I haven't received the level of
help I could have gotten from the group, nor would this person have been as
useful to others as he/she/they might have been.

How about the inherent difficulties in sharing info? The most detailed
notes on a meeting are no substitute for being there, asking questions,
perhaps gaining insight from fellow members.

Email/newsgroup postings/web page hilights are a poor second to physical
contact/discussion/questions in matters such as this.