Michael Leone on Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:01:59 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Other considerations against splintering

At 02:50 PM 6/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Michael Leone:
>   What you are trying to say is that the only way for people to learn
>something is by keeping everyone together.

Absolutely not. I'm saying the BEST way to get the MOST out of our group
(which is, after all, just a group of folks meeting to share a common
interest and hobby) is to continue to meet as -A- group, and not splinter
into various smaller regional entities.

>intelligence.  What about others who would like to learn, but are afraid of
>the city, don't drive, don't have the time to trek back and forth to the
>city, etc..  I work in the city, but I have a home life also.  I have

I have a home life, too. Probably most of us do. And I don't drive, either.

>animals to feed and let out.  I have dinner to make.  plus the bus ride back
>into the city is another 4.60 round trip.  And then I have to wait almost an
>hour for the bus.  I refuse to drive in because of parking, I am almost to
>my limit for the year on my car.  And you don't have to worry about the most
>experience people being at one or the other, because as a group we can all
>help each other.  We could create web Pages for the info and share.  Is

As I stated - to me (<- NOTE IMPORTANT QUALIFIER :-),a web page BY ITSELF
isn't as good as having the oppurtunity for face-to-face interaction with
someone who's already done what you want to do. Can it be done that way?
Sure; that's where most of the Linux help comes from.

Should it be done only via web when currently we do it face-to-face? I
don't think so. I prefer asking questions of a live person about a
complicated project over reading only a web page (which may or may not
pertain to my specific situatiion), or an email conversation - when I can,
obviously.

A difference of opinion, that's all.

As an adjunct (for instance, if I miss a talk on a topic), reading a web
page can be helpful, as would be email with the presenter of the talk. Or
as a starting point. For something that can fall into a category of "You
know, I never quite got the hang of ...", this way works well, too.

Boy, we've wandered far afield, haven't we? :-)

To sum up: I say 1 group in CC. Nick says separate groups, in separate areas.

There - that wasn't hard, now was it? ;-)