Tracy Nelson on Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] IP masquerading for the clueless

System: Debian 2.1, SMC EtherEZ, external USR 56K
Problem: User is absolutely clueless about IPmasq
---
So what do I have to do to get IPmasq to work?  I've compiled all the stuff
I "think" (note problem statement) should be necessary into the kernel, but
when I try to initialize the firewall rules (ipfwadm -F -p deny), I get
"ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument".  If I just blithely ignore
this and try ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.3/8 -D 0.0.0.0/0, I get "ipfwadm:
setsockopt failed: no such file or directory".  These are commands I just
plucked from the mini-HOWTO, so obviously I have no real idea what I'm
trying to do (other than get IPmasq running...).

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd really be grateful.  Oh, it may
help to mention that I'm getting SIOCSETATTR (sp?) errors on bootup, but I
don't know what's causing them.  init() reports that it's "initializing IP
masquerading...done", but again I don't know exactly what it's doing (hmm,
I'm beginning to see a pattern here...)

Cheers!
-- Tracy Nelson