Jason Staloff on Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:02:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] power management?

Well, here goes. My BIOS does support APM, so I'll read the relevant HOWTOs and get ready to build my first custom kernel.

Thanks!  JAS

Martin DiViaio wrote:

> As long as your BIOS supports APM, yes. You have to recompile your
> kernel.
>
> If you use menuconfig; "Advanced Power Management BIOS Support" is under
> "Character Devices."

Opps, almost forgot. If you let the CPU go completely to sleep there may
be a problem with Linux's software clock getting out of sync with the
hardware clock. If this happens to you, go to
http://www.wpi.edu/~jmhill/LinuxPage/apmdoc1.html for an explanation on
how to fix it. (Basically it requires you to change a routine in apm.c
of the kernel that forces the clocks to synchronize when the CPU wakes
up.)