Michael Whitman on Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:49:16 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] drive and partition info

Another question not covered by my Linux book or the newbie linux sites I
know about.

How do I find what my logical partitions are, what size they are,  and on
which hard drives they reside?
I know that linux does not have letter named partitions 'd:' rather a
specific directory represents a partition such as '/etc'.
I am looking info similar to what the disk administrator provides on NT.

I found my fstab file - which I think gives my logical partitions - how do
i know how big and how full each partition is and on which physical drive
it is located? - this machine has 2 hardrives in it.

/dev/hda8               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda5               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda7               /var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda9               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

Michael P. Whitman
Online Services Developer
PaLAWnet - DeLAWnet

mailto:michaelw@palawnet.com