Jason S. on Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Two networking questions...

Hi.
Actually I think it might be a routing problem. Check the output of
"netstat -rn" before and after you activate eth0. Its probably being set
as the default route (as opposed to ppp0) so all your traffic is trying
to go out over your lan. Unless you have a gateway to the internet on
your lan, eth0 should just have routes to the local network. Everything
else should be going out ppp0.

Hope that helps...

J.

"LeRoy D. Cressy" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can we see what ifconfig says?
>
> Also, are you setting up ppp as a default gateway to the isp?  And
> finally, what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like?  All of these can be
> the solution to your problem.  Also you might want to look at your
> /etc/ppp/options file to see how pppd is called and what is happening.
>
> Have a good day :-)
>
> LeRoy
> --
>           0 0      L & R Associates
>            "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/
> _______ooO ~ Ooo_______________________________________________
>
> LeRoy D. Cressy          /\_/\          ldc@netaxs.com
> Computer Consulting     ( o.o )         Phone (215) 535-4037
>                          > ^ <          Fax   (215) 535-4285
>
> Martin DiViaio wrote:
> >
> > First, is there a way to stop pppd from adding entries to my /etc/hosts
> > file? I recently opened it and found about 100 entries for my ISP. I
> > know I didn't add them. The only thing I can think of is that pppd is
> > adding them for some reason.
> >
> > Second, when I "activate" eth0 with netcfg I can't access ppp0. I can
> > start pppd without any problems but when I attempt to use the link any
> > program I use just hangs and doesn't do anything. Can someone point me
> > in the right direction so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong? I am
> > still reading NET-3-HOWTO. Is there anywhere else I can look?

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.