Jason S. on Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:11:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ok, attempt number two..+ CORRECTIONS

Walt Mankowski wrote:

> My other piece of advice is to always build a new kernel on a floppy
> (make zdisk or make bzdisk, the only difference being that bzdisk will
> compress the kernel a little more).  That way if the kernel doesn't
> work, you just have to remove the floppy and reboot off the hard drive
> with an old kernel you know works.

You know you can have more than one kernel in your lilo.conf right?
Something like this lets you choose which kernel to boot back to, just
change where System.map is linked to after you reboot or you may have
problems with modules...

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=7
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.10
        label=linux-2.2.10
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
image=/boot/bzImage-2.2.9
        label=linux-2.2.9
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only

--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.