Joshua Mazess on Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:08:27 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Which modem to buy for Linux

Dan,
    If you can manage to find a non-Plug-N-Pray internal ISA modem with jumpers, then
it will work. Such a modem should claim DOS compatibility. However, even some DOS
modems are jumperless and require a utility or PNP to configure it. It may be possible
to set up a PNP device with Linux, but it's easier if you can just configure the
settings on the hardware. I have a Zoom 56K internal. The USR Sportster ISA
non-WinModems were good, but I can't speak for the 56K models. You can also avoid the
whole thing by getting an external modem. --Josh