Michael W. Ryan on Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:49:47 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Ya know, it's a shame..

Before I respond to this, I want people to make sure they differentiate
"how things are" and "how things should be".  It's an important
distinction.

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Anneke K. Hackman wrote:

> I work at a basically exclusively NT (and some Win95) shop, and although
> workstation doesn't crash too often, the servers are fubar /all/ the time.
> they crash every three days, because we try to run site server, and SQL,
> and so on all on the same box (heaven forbid).  MS apps break other MS
> apps on the same machine.

As someone who has installed Site Server a fair number of times, let me
say that it's a mess.  Our trainers who are certified on the product
(we're a MS CTEC) will tell you, IN CLASS (back me up Walt), that it's
horrid.

As for running multiple services on one box, this isn't the MS design
model (this is where my earlier differentiation comes in).  The best way
to ensure a happy, healthy SQL Server is to run it on its own system.  I
would also expect Site Server to work better running on its own system.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)