Walt Mankowski on Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:52:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ya know, it's a shame..

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 04:49:35PM -0400, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> As someone who has installed Site Server a fair number of times, let me
> say that it's a mess.  Our trainers who are certified on the product
> (we're a MS CTEC) will tell you, IN CLASS (back me up Walt), that it's
> horrid.

Yes, I can certainly back Mike up here.  I had the misfortune of
taking a Site Server training class with Mike's company.  This is not
a slam on Mike's company.  Site Server is a horribly unstable product.
We literally could not get through a single lab without at least one
person's workstation crashing.  And Mike is right, installation is the
worst part.  (Well, maybe the second-worst.  The worst is having to
use Site Server everyday at work.)  We all BSOD'd multiple times
during the installation.  It took us the better part of a day to get
to a point where we could do any actual training.

And of course, this is all in a canned situation.  Microsoft tells the
trainers what the minimum specs for the machines should be, then gives
very explicit, step-by-step instructions to install everything on what
are essentially bare machines.  If Site Server can't work flawlessly
under these ideal conditions, what are the chances it will work out in
the field?

We have a number of Microsoft employees in my office right now working
on a big Site Server project.  Even they have problems with it.  I've
lost track of the number of times things have had to be reinstalled
from scratch on my machine.

On the positive side, you do get to see those blue balls spin around
inside MTS when a COM object gets activated.  :-)

Walt