Charles Stack on Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:59:03 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ya know, it's a shame..

>My observation has been that Corporate management listens to marketers
>rather than their own technical people.  Any KNOWLEGEBLE technogeek
>would choose ANY *nix flavor over windows even if he had to write
>his/her own app to get the job done.  Windows is simply not acceptable
>for "Mission Critical" apps unless; as said before; you really baby it.

I wouldn't entirely agree with you.  Our company develops and sells the
premier public safety records management software.  We are an NT shop.
And,we  have had only a handful of true help desk/service calls per month
since September of last year.  Obviously, we're doing something right as our
end users aren't, for the most part, NT system administrators.   Fact of the
matter, most of high quality tools and components needed are to get the job
done have already been developed for the Windows platform.

Don't get me wrong...I love Linux and the concept of Open Source.
Unfortunately, when you see what's available on Freshmeat.net and other
sites, it seems that mostly what is out there are attempts at a better
Solitare, Newsreader or putting their high school homework out for everyone
to critique.  But, I have yet to see a plethora of high quality tools that I
need to get my job done. (Yeah..this is flame bait...I know) in a corporate
environment.  Most of us don't have the time (except on rare occassions) to
analyze someone elses code to make a fix.  Plus, unless the changes are
accept by the authors, then the next time the code is released, existing
work will break.  Why haven't people organized, like they did with the
development of Linux, GNOME, and KDE, and develop applications and tools
that corporate developers (and end users alike) really need? We've seen the
effects of this type of this type of organization; stability, low-cost, and
quick fix time. This is why the corporate world is looking at Linux in the
first place.

But, without solid tools and libraries to get the job done...Linux will
remain relegated to tasks like serving up web pages and email despite its
obvious superiority over NT as alluded to in the quote above.  That's why I
am amazed at the negative responses people have provided knowing that
Borland is willing to bring their tools to Linux.  If Linux is truly ready
for primetime and Open Source tools are truly available, as some of you
attest, then I pose the following challenge to you all:

I have a Windows 95/NT application that runs Oracle 7/8 on the backend.  We
offer the following configurations...Oracle on a server with Win95/98
clients and, soon, a version that has Win95/98 clients accessing an Oracle
backend over either a CDPD or packet radio network. Stability and
reliability and performance are essential..

Assuming I have the resources and commitment from higher management, what I
am challenging you all to think about is how I can develop this system using
available Linux tools.  I don't want a mish mash of languages...just a
simple solution that provides:

a) Multiuser access to an Oracle 7/8 backend capable of serving SQL and
PL/SQL calls and returning datasets and results back to clients.
b) Client access to the same backend over a CDPD or packet radio network.
Clients MUST be Windows 95/98 based for now.
c) Client and server alike must be able to manipulate and control their
attached RF modems and be notified when there is a break in and/or
restoration of connectivity.
d) Win95/98 client access to the same backend server over Microsoft TCP/IP
and Novell networks.

I realize that this is a general and rather vague set of requirements.  But,
where there are holes, competent developers can do the patching.

I'd love to say that Windows can be eliminated from the equation entirely.
But, it can't.  Our client workstations will remain Windows based for the
foreseeable future.  So, what I'm looking for a server side solution.

So, if you can tell me that what Open Source libraries and modules that can
provide the desired capabilities and how they can be combined (no soure code
please)..then I'm listening.

I'd love to hear what you all come up with as I truly hope there is an Open
Source solution.  There is nothing more that I'd like to do than to go to my
boss (the President), make a case for Linux, and hire Linux developers to
make this a reality.

Cheers,

Charles