Gregory . Josephs on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:29:22 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] RE: Multiple Apps On Servers

Michael Ryan says:

> As someone who has installed Site Server a fair number of times, let me
> say that it's a mess.  Our trainers who are certified on the product
> (we're a MS CTEC) will tell you, IN CLASS (back me up Walt), that it's
> horrid.

> As for running multiple services on one box, this isn't the MS design
> model (this is where my earlier differentiation comes in).  The best way
> to ensure a happy, healthy SQL Server is to run it on its own system.  I
> would also expect Site Server to work better running on its own system.

My office began a GIS (Geographic Information System) project in 1994 using ESRI
ARC/INFO on an IBM RS/6000 Model 58H server under AIX.  Originally we had seven
IBM Xstations; this worked O.K. with ARC/INFO, but was too slow when we added
ArcView for Workstations.  So we added five  IBM RS/6000 workstations and
retired a few of the Xstations.  We also upgraded the server to Model 59H, and
put a Sybase SQL Server 10 database on it to support a small client-server app.
Utilization on the server went to the peg and performance went down for those
obliged to run GIS apps off the server.  That developed over 18 months; now we
have a new RS/6000 server for the Sybase System 11 database; the old RS/6000
server only handles the basemap and some utility activities.  We have also added
several dual-processor WNT workstations which run ArcView acceptably, and are
much cheaper than comparable RS/6000 workstations.

Conclusion:  running both the Sybase database and the ESRI software on a single
RS/6000 server under AIX was a constant problem.  Moving the two onto separate
servers gives far more improvement than the net increase in hardware would
suggest.

I am under the impression that any of the major database vendors - IBM, Sybase,
Informix, etc., would recommend running their database on a dedicated server.

IMHO,

GregJ