Jason S. on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] RE: Multiple Apps On Servers

Gregory.Josephs@phila.gov wrote:
> Conclusion:  running both the Sybase database and the ESRI software on a single
> RS/6000 server under AIX was a constant problem.  Moving the two onto separate
> servers gives far more improvement than the net increase in hardware would
> suggest.
>
> I am under the impression that any of the major database vendors - IBM, Sybase,
> Informix, etc., would recommend running their database on a dedicated server.

Absolutely correct. Any database (especially SQL) where you can have
complex querys should be run on a dedicated machine after a certain
point. There will come a time when the database is fighting tooth and
nail with the webserver.

However, the issue wasnt so much what it should be in an ideal setting.
The issue was that certain ms products simply do NOT work together.

At one point I was the admin of an E3000. 6CPU's, 2GB of memory. It was
running netscape enterprise server (ssl), apache (http), and Oracle 7.
It was a matter of hosting fee's, limited space and funding that made
one big box a better solution for us than several smaller ones. Despite
how it sounds, it performed rather well. There was only one incedent
that led to unscheduled downtime and that was due to a bad processor. It
ran for about 2 years. By that time the company had laid out a plan to
expand its site and I'd moved on.

The point I'm attempting to make is that despite it not being ideal, you
CAN do everything on one box and expect it to work. If its slow, then
you can deal with it. But it should at least work.

--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.