Jason S. on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:33:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] RE: NT Rant

Gregory.Josephs@phila.gov wrote:

> Vale.Kenny@vanguard.com wrote:

<snip>
> > Just a small rant..
>
> I don't have a Linux system of my own (yet), so I use NTW4.0 five days a week.
> Frankly, I haven't had
> a "blue screen of death" in over a month now, and this is typical.  Of course, I
> turn it off at the end of
> each day - for security, and after all, we all know it won't run for a full week
> without crashing, so why
> bang my head on a brick wall?
<snip>

Here's my take. Use what you like. I've used both OS's. I still use
windows for gaming. Altho I tend to boot windows, play a game then
reboot back to linux immediately. Its not about which is 'better' its
about what works and what you like. I happen to like X more than
windows. I'm used to linux and use it out of habit. In the long run,
whats going to make linux a success, isnt 'beating' NT. Its going to
succeed because it fits in with the rest of your OS's in the enterprise.
Linux and the *bsd's make rather nice file/ftp/mail servers. They're
suited to those rolls and should be used for them. Integrating virus
scanners and sendmail is a perfect example. Why? Easy, your first line
of defense is your mail server. If you can catch them at the mail server
(linux, solaris, whatever) then you've saved yourself a lot of headache.
Despite the fact that the server wont be affected, you still save a good
amount of time not having to scan your entire network after its too
late.

I like linux. Its stable, its consistant, I've been using it since I
think about '92. It probably shouldnt be on everyones desktop, but that
doesnt mean it cant help them. I dunno, I think having one OS of any
kind is a bad thing. This isnt really going anywhere, so I'll just stop
now
--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.