Hugh Brock on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:52:30 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] ppp and ethernet with SUSE

OK, here's an interesting set of problems:

I'm running an IBM 560Z laptop with a D-Link FM560-TX ethernet/modem
combo (more details below). For some reason, I don't seem to be able to
access my ISP over the modem (ibm.net, dynamic addressing) while I am
connected to the local ethernet.

SUSE came with a neat little tool called WVDial which automatically
sussed out the connection script for IBM and set up the Internet
connection. Normally I connect by just typing "wvdial" from root, which
accesses the modem, dials, and connects. However, when I bring eth0 up
for the local network connection, I get something like "Cannot access
ttys0," which of course is the modem device. If I bring eth0 down,
wvdial makes the connection no problem.

My question is this: is there something fundamental that prevents me
from maintaining both connections at once over the combo adapter, or
from having dual IP addresses (one for eth0, one for ppp0)? Or am I just
doing something dumb?

If anyone has any ideas I can supply ifconfig and route status for when
ppp0 is active vs. when eth0 is active.

One other wrinkle: eth0 is set to come up automatically on boot-up, but
I get SIOCSADDR-ish errors when ifconfig tries to find it. However, once
the system is up, bringing up eth0 with "ifconfig 192.168.0.40 netmask
255.255.255.0 up" is no problem.

Many thanks in advance,
--Hugh