Roger C. Scudder Jr. on Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Problems with fetchmail and smail

You could automate the task with a shell script.  I have one I
call getmail.  It starts by cleaning up any old log files (I like
to keep mail logs) then calls fetchmail -c to see if there is any
mail waiting on the server.   If there is it start fetchmail in
daemon mode.  You could modify this script to start qmail after
fetchmail.

#!/bin/sh
#-------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  $HOME/bin/getmail.sh - automate common tasks involved in
#                         retrieving e-mail from a POP server
#
#                         related files: .fetchmailrc
#
#-------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Delete old log and backup files lest they become extremely huge.
#
if [ -e $HOME/fetchmail.log ]; then
    rm -f $HOME/fetchmail.log
fi

if [ -f $HOME/mail/procmail-log ]; then
    rm -f $HOME/mail/procmail-log
fi

#
# If there is mail waiting start fetchmail in daemon mode.
#
if [ -e $HOME/.fetchmailrc ]; then
    printf "%s\n" "Attempting connection with bellatlantic POP3 server"
    fetchmail -c

    rc=$?

    if [ $rc -eq 0 ]; then
	printf "%s\n" "Starting the fetchmail daemon"
	fetchmail -d300 -v -a
    else
	printf "%s\n" "Ending fetchmail session"
    fi
fi

I hope this works for you.

Roger Scudder