Michael C. Toren on Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:07:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] diald problem

> I have a small internal network (5 nodes) that all connect to a box running
> IP Masquerading that also has diald installed to dial on demand.
>
> Everything works fine.
>
> The only problem I have is that whenever I try to telnet between boxes
> within the network, diald initiates a dial up connection.  Is there a way
> to disable diald from dialing when it gets requests from a specific
> subnet of IP's?

Is the Masquerading box also handling DNS for you?

More than likely tcpd is attempting to resolve the internal IP address
you're connecting from, which is triggering the dial-on-demand.  If you're
using private (RFC1918) address space, you can setup a bogus reverse zone
to fend off the external lookup.

> Also does anyone have a script lying around for emailing the IP address
> that my IP masq box connects to when it dials up (DHCP always assigns a
> different one) I'd like to be able to telnet into this box whenever it
> happens to be dialed in....

IIRC, diald executes a particular shell script each time a dialup connection
is established; on Debian systems I believe this is /etc/diald/ip-up.  You
could place something similar to the following in it:

	ifconfig ppp0 | mail -s "Connection at `date`" kt25@drexel.edu

> Kurt
> kt25@drexel.edu

-mct