Alexander John Batyi on Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:01:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] callback(or not back but out)

> > I just would like to know what utilities I would need to setup something
> > that could answer a call, hang up, then call my ISP so a few minutes later
> > I could telnet into my box from somewhere else. All I need is somewhere to
> > start, but more would be helpful.
>
> 1. Use cron to connect a certain intervals, you could then access
>    your server during these specific times.
>
> 2. Use mgetty to dial into your server direct and command it to go online.

I'd suggest a variation on this.  Use mgetty to answer the phone and give
yourself a shell and then use at(1) to make the ISP connection.

at now + 3 minutes
ppp-on  (or whatever you use)
<CTRL-D>

then hang up and wait a few.