John Nolan on Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question about tar files

> Look at the file name. If the filename is like whatever.tar.gz or
> whatever.tgz then you enter:
> tar -xzvf [filename]

If you're on a UNIX whose tar does not support the -z option,
or if you just like pipe operators, then you can do this:

   gunzip < file.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

> You may have a filename that looks like whatever.tar.bz2 . This is
> another compressed file. You must first run bzip on it then use tar -xvf
> [filename] to extract it.

I've never used bzip, but I imagine it will work directly from
stdin/stout like gzip, so I guess that this would work
(someone correct me if this won't work, I don't have bzip here):

   bunzip < file.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

> tar has many more options and a reading of the tar man page is
> definately a good idea.

Yup.  One useful option is -t, which lets you just print a list
of files in the archive without actually extracting them.
This prints out a list of the files in the archive, sorted by
file size:

   gunzip < mystuff.tar.gz | tar -tvf - | sort -rnk3