Chris Fearnley on Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:17:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question about tar files

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 08:00:30AM -0400, John Nolan wrote:
> > You may have a filename that looks like whatever.tar.bz2 . This is
> > another compressed file. You must first run bzip on it then use tar -xvf
> > [filename] to extract it.
>
> I've never used bzip, but I imagine it will work directly from
> stdin/stout like gzip, so I guess that this would work
> (someone correct me if this won't work, I don't have bzip here):
>
>    bunzip < file.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

Debian's tar supports the I option (if the bzip2 package is
installed).

     tar xvIf file.tar.bz2

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary