Kevin Falcone on Sat, 24 Jul 1999 01:33:25 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question about tar files

Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 08:00:30AM -0400, John Nolan wrote:
> > > You may have a filename that looks like whatever.tar.bz2 . This is
> > > another compressed file. You must first run bzip on it then use tar -xvf
> > > [filename] to extract it.
> >
> > I've never used bzip, but I imagine it will work directly from
> > stdin/stout like gzip, so I guess that this would work
> > (someone correct me if this won't work, I don't have bzip here):
> >
> >    bunzip < file.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -
>
> Debian's tar supports the I option (if the bzip2 package is
> installed).
>
>      tar xvIf file.tar.bz2

The tar that comes with my RedHat installation, and the gnu-tar I
compiled on the Suns at school don't have this option.  Instead, I
have this defined in my .bashrc

btar() { tar --use-compress-prog=bzip2 $* }

This requires any further options (such as xvf) to be prefaced with a -
Thus, the command on my machine is

btar -xvf file.tar.bz2

-kevin

--
Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu>

Verbosity to hide ignorance will not be rewarded.
                        Dr Max Mintz