Jason S. on Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] X Lockup under 2.2.10

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 Vale_Kenny@vanguard.com wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>       Issue:
> Using
> RH 6.0
> kernel 2.2.10
> XFree86 (3.3.1 I think, at least that's what the doc rev is

Me too. Did you get the erratta released by RH? There's a bunch of
updates for X on their ftp site. Actually, there's a bunch of erratta
period. Go get it.

> 1) How do I check the kernel rev (assuming i have no docs, no /ets/issue
> message, am an idiot?..is there a command?) ?

cat /proc/version will give you version, who compiled it, the
compiler used and the date compiled.

>      1A)How do I check an application/package/whatever version without the
> original tarfile..is there a Command Line command?

If you used rpm, you can get a nice detailed report with
 rpm -qi `rpm -qa` | less

 Or direct it to a file. The output will be... detailed.

> 2) Where is the bug-tracking system for GNU/Linux as a whole? Is there a
> worldwide repository for bug listigs?

Well, there's always the kernel mailinglist & whatnot. But I'm running
the same distro and the 2.2.10 kernel here, home and on 3 other boxes
just fine. I think you may be in need of the updated X eratta.

> 3) How can I pipe the output of the X screen errors (the ones you see when you
> quit X) to a file?  Or is there already an "Xlog" , and I just   don't know
> whrere it is..if so,where is it?

If you mean the output of startx, it goes to stderr. Redirect it to
stdout.

startx &> startx.log

that'll pipe it to startx.log, its in the bash manpage. Different shells
work differently.

> 4) how can I avoid feeling like a moron for asking all of these questions?
> Should I feel like a moron?  :->

Keep breaking stuff and fixing it. How do you think the rest of us
figure it out? :)

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.