Daniel G Roberts on Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:19:00 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] New Modem--Troubleshooting help Needed

Hello All

I just bought an internal 56k ISA Modem from Best Data <www.bestdata.com>
The modem I purchased is model
   Smart One 56K internal windows modem, ISA version -- Model #56FW

Now the docs don't mention at all that this is a win modem niether does their
website.

I installed the new modem on com2 under dos..and it works just fine under win95.
    Question is: My previous modem was under com2 as well..and it was a pretty
mindless task to get it to work properly using RedHat 5.2...jsut ahd to make sure
that /dev/modem pointed correctly..

Well when I use minicom to try to dail the new 56k modem...the minicom software
appears to dail out..but I never get a connection.. I don't even hear the modem
dial out..eventaully..I time out

So my question is:.. How do I go about troubleshooting this modem?? There wasn't
any useful messages in /var/log/messages that would help begin..

Thanks for any and all help

Dan