Jason S. on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:23:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Clean Crashes

You dont have to reboot if your keyboard gets stuck in raw mode.
This happened to me a few times while playing quake/doom. YOu can
telnet in like you did and do a "kbd_mode -a" to reset the
keyboard. You'll need to su, but you'd see that rather quickly. Or,
if you dont have annother PC to telnet in from.....

Odds are you're running an svgalib game, if you are, you're probably not
running X. The next trick depends on  X not running. So shut down xdm or
whatever while you play games from the console.

Situation:
Ok, you're stuck at the console. Keyboard is in raw mode. You're about
to hit the reset button.

Solution:
Press and hold down 2, F12 and hit the "=" key. That'll start X. You
have to hit the keys kinda fast, or the keys will repeat. Its kinda a
3 fingered salute.

Anyways, you'll get a nice happy grey X screen. You wont be able to
do much since it bypasses your xinitrc, but you can ctrl+alt+Fn to a
DIFFERENT console than you were on. Now do a sleep 10; kbd_mode -a. Then
seconds, it will reset.

This was in a HOWTO somewhere. I forget which one. Look for one that
mentions kbd_mode a lot :)

Hope this helps. That used to irritate the hell out of me when I got
stuck like that....

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.