-adam- on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO

Being a user of RedHat for a couple of years now I'm confident that it's a
sound investment.  With the general support of computing powerhouses like
IBM, Oracle, Novell, Sun, Netscape (well, I'm not sure if they could
really be considered a 'powerhouse' anymore [iplanet]), and the rest,
and with the announcement by SGI yesterday
(http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/august/red_hat.html), I
think that RedHat's credibility is increasing with each day.

I plan to invest in RedHat, but I don't plan to flip.  RedHat is a solid,
long-term hold in my opinion.

One thing I find disturbing however, is the fact that just about every
article and press release about RedHat includes a disclaimer of sorts
stating in a nutshell that RedHat is competing against, and just might be
quashed by Microsoft.  These types of qualifications are
counter-productive and do little to assure corporate executives and
potential investors alike that Linux is the viable alternative that Linux
advocates claim it is.