Kyle Burton on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO

I just saw Jason reply to this, so I felt I had to chime in too...welcome to
my opinion.

> Well, I am surprised that noone on the list has discussed it, but I am
> very curious what everyone thinks regarding the Redhat IPO.
>
> What do you think of the company in general?

I think they've done great things for linux.  They aren't just making a living
off of the community, they contribute alot to it -- they host linux.com,
and they host frehmeat (I don't see any banner adds on freshmeat, which is
something I really like).  They've paid for a bunch of stuff that is now GPL'd
so it can't go closed.

> What do you think of the company/IPO as an investment?

Good things.  I plan to buy the day it opens.  I plan to keep it as along
term investment -- I'm trying to buy it with the idea that I'm supporting
them buy purchasing their stock.  I buy their distribution (even though I
can get linux for free, or can get redhat for free off the net) because I like
what they do.  I like the return on my money spent on the distribution.

> How do you think it will perform the first day, or longer..

Rollercoaster on the first day.  Hit a high, drop a bit, then slower steady
growth.

> Did you get 'the letter'?

nope.

> Are you going to try to get in on the IPO if you got the letter?
> Are you going to try to get in on the IPO if you didn't get the letter?

Tried to, I can't.

> Are you going to try to purchase this on the open market?

Yup.  I can't put in the order till the day of, but that's the plan.

> [Please note, I am not interested too much in hearing a bunch of tai-raids
> and anger if you got the letter and couldn't get in, or if you didn't get
> the letter and are upset that you didn't, or are just going to piggyback
> an opinion on all the discussion (read:YELLING) you read on slashdot in
> regards to this subject.]

Perhaps I'm naieve.  I only have my own life experience to go by, and that
experience tells me that RedHat is the right thing to do.

"Think determanisticly, act randomly."
    -- Unknown