Aaron Brown on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:29:19 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Master and Servant wrote:

:Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
:From: Master and Servant <msimons@caip.rutgers.edu>
:To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
:Subject: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO
:
:
:Well, I am surprised that noone on the list has discussed it, but I am
:very curious what everyone thinks regarding the Redhat IPO.
:
:
:What do you think of the company in general?

I think RedHat is doing a great job with its distro.  They have a lot of
great utilities and make it very easy to install the OS.  Also they stand
behind the GPL licence to the extent that you are aloud to copy their CD's
and distribute it as long as you provide the source, and dont charge
anything for it.  I like the way they are doing things, I vowed the first
time I installed their product that I will purchace a copy of their
package every other major release (even though it costs an arm and a leg
now).  But in the end it is worth it, I think of it this way, I am helping
to pay people to develop more useful and better utilities for my favorite
OS.  Since I do not have a writing language under my belt as most Linux
users do, I figure this is my way of contributing.

:What do you think of the company/IPO as an investment?

At this point I would not invest in the company by the way of stocks, it
is a bad decision.  They are not turning profit.  But I would say in a
year or so, it would be wise.  As the major computer manufacturers are
supporting linux and are installing RH Linux on their computers and
selling it that way.  In time that may mean more money for RedHat and they
might actually turn a profit, a good one.

:How do you think it will perform the first day, or longer..

I think the people who initially invest will loose a good portion of their
investment, but if they stick with it, they will gain it
back....eventually.  Most investors out there will not stick with it, in
fear of loosing even more money.

:Did you get 'the letter'?

no

:Are you going to try to get in on the IPO if you got the letter?

no

:Are you going to try to get in on the IPO if you didn't get the letter?

no

:Are you going to try to purchase this on the open market?

Maybee in a year or so.

:
:[Please note, I am not interested too much in hearing a bunch of tai-raids
:and anger if you got the letter and couldn't get in, or if you didn't get
:the letter and are upset that you didn't, or are just going to piggyback
:an opinion on all the discussion (read:YELLING) you read on slashdot in
:regards to this subject.]
:
:
:Plug maillist  -  Plug@lists.nothinbut.net